OMG 300 episodes!!! Join Sig, Anne and Geoff for their final DDOcast as hosts! We play a bit of DDO Jeopardy, listen to some our favorite commercials, another episode of Dragon Fragments, we’re also joined in by Producer Glin and Tolero for a bit of Q&A!
Guild Give-Away Contest
One of our listeners and a good friend in Game is giving away his guild. The Darkstars decided they would Merge with The Madborn of Thelanis and offered their guild to give away for out 300th episode. They have a quality Airship stocked with amenities paid up for a month. They are a level 75 guild currently, though they may decay a it by the time we do the hand over.
- The Darkstars will transfer the guild to one of my characters and I will hand it over to the winner of the contest.
- Your guild will have a clear roster when you get it.
- You need to have a character on the Thelanis server to win
- You are encouraged to change the name of the guild once you have leadership but its not required
- You must compose a Limric or Hiku honoring the brave Darkstars to win
- Email your entry to email@example.com
- We will select a random winner by August 25th
Its Sig, Anne, and Geoff’s (www.ddogamer.com) Second to Last DDOcast Episode!! Patrick also joins in for the latest discussion of DDO news and updates! We also talk about tips and tricks for going to GenCon. Plus we answer a few emails.
- Service Update 08/12/2013: Recent Routing Issues
- Putting a feather in DDO’s Cap: Updates from Producer Rowan
- Shadar-kai Tattoo Contest Winners
- Guide to GenCon 2013
- GenCon 2013 Mobile Website Courtesy of BloodBowlDigital.com
- Deadlock’s updated Enhancement System PDF
- Large Address Awareness, a fix to defeating Memory Leaks
- Official Microsoft Process Monitor v3.05
- Last chance to Answer Patrick’s Survey for Turbine Points!
Join Sig, Anne and Geoff as we take a press tour of the Storm Horns Mountains a new wilderness area, the quests within and the monsters that live there. *SPOILERS* The tour also go into the story of the Shadowfell Conspiracy, so consider yourself warned!
Many thanks to Ben Schneider, Senior Content Designer and Phil Fogerite, Systems Designer, for showing us around the new beautiful area of the Storm Horns. Also thank you to Amanda “Tolero” Grow, Jerry “Cordovan” Snook, and Erik “ProducerGlin” Boyer for the hospitality!
The Storm Horns is the name given to the mountains that mark the western and northern frontier of Cormyr. The mountains form an unbroken line of jagged peaks, inhabited by dragons, tribes of humanoids, orcs, giants, harpies and satyrs
NOTE: this particular podcast was intended to be a video, listening to just the audio version you’ll only get part of the tour and consequently miss out on some cool stuff.
WTF! where’s 295 and 296? They’re right here! Give’em a listen:
Join Sig, Anne, and Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com/) as we talk about this week’s DDO news, discuss what we’ve seen in the Storm Horns, chit-chat about our adventures in DDO, and talk about our latest RPG obsessions in the table top world: 13th Age and Numenera.
- Role Playing Days on Sarlona
- DDO Login Issue Updates
- DDO Crystal Cove Now Thru Aug 11th
- 13th Age
- Mountain hiking in DDO: Shadowfell Conspiracy’s Stormhorns
- Latest DDO Community video
We have another special DDOcast Treat! A reading of the DDO Fan Fic, The Bent Knife! This first Episode is a Pilot by Fwelcyr of Orien. If you enjoy this tale and would like to hear more, please send us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org We hope you enjoy the story!
Hey all! This is a special mid-week episode of DDOcast featuring Patrick – aka Shamgar – of Epic Education. This episode includes several compiled episodes including how to run epic versions of Plane of Night Raid, epic Chronoscope, and a Speed Shroud.
00:00:00 – Intro
00:00:59 – Plane of Night
00:18:57 – Chronoscope
00:57:43 – Speed Shroud
Links to Shamgar’s Epic Education Notes @ Shamgar.ddocast.com
- Epic Education Episode 6 & 7: The Plane of Night Part 1 & Part 2
- Epic Education Episode 8-11: Chronoscope Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 & Part 4
- Epic Education Episode 12: Speed Shroud
This week on DDOcast Sig, Anne and Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com) talk about the latest lamannia build (well, as much as we can since its in closed beta), the reports about Shadowfell Xpack from other gaming news sites, we also touch on some ddogamer.com news and ddocast news.
- Character Undeletes are Available Again!
- Press Tour Reports for Shadowfell Conspiracy XPack are out!
- Closed Beta continues on Lamannia, you can access here if you have permission
- MMO Reporter Network’s Preview of Shadowfell Xpack
- Help Shamgar in his new reign, read his open letter and answer his survey for some fre Turbine Points!
- DDO Chronicle 53
- Where to find RPG gaming news: ENWorld
Dear DDOcast Listeners!
DDOCast has been a part of our lives for several years now, almost 300 episodes! It has had many help by participants over the years. Everything from weekly listeners, live chatters, segment producers, commercial makers, generous sponsors of prizes and gifts, and countless guests on the show. DDOCast simply would not be what it is today, a show with an enormously rich history and a solid base of contributors, without any of these people. However, it takes someone special to pull all of these people together and to steer the ship.
That started with Jerry, literally. So long ago he started a podcast about DDO and you listened. And then you contributed and boarded his ship. And then Jerry got a job at Turbine and a new phase began. Sig and Anne took over. They helmed the podcast for a couple years and talked our way through the second generation of DDOCast and a fine job they did. But that time has come and they have decided that they will step down from this role. They will still be here participating and helping DDOCast (and perhaps we will see a return of the segment crunchy bits!) but as is often the case with life, things change, and sometimes people move on from something they love simply because they must move on from something to take on another thing they are interested in.
And that takes us to today and the beginning of the 3rd generation of DDOCast. I have decided that I will step into the role and up to the challenge of the DDOCast producer. It’s a daunting task stepping into a role so well filled for so many years by those before me. I hope and pray that I can be worthy to those shoes.
I have already begun to look to this transition. It won’t happen quite all at once, there will be transition. I ask that you bear with me as I learn and stumble into the role, but I also want you to be excited like I am! There are some things I hope to bring into DDOCast in the near future and beyond. Don’t worry, I’m not looking to reinvent the wheel, but things might look and sound a bit different around here.
However, I am not looking to do this alone. I need your help. If you aren’t a math person, let me do some for you: 1 person is replacing 2! I’m a busy guy like many of you. How can you help? Well for starters, spread the word and introduce your friends and guild mates to DDOCast. Then start contributing beyond just listening! Here’s some ways you can be a bigger part of the DDOCast:
Feed the Kobolds! – contribute $ and prizes. Everything goes into the show for listeners. None of the contributors get paid, but there are a few expenses involved with putting on a podcast. There’s hosting services and equipment needs, but we also like to give prizes away. If you have in game items you’d like to see find better homes please email us (email@example.com) and if you’d like to contribute money you can visit our website (www.ddocast.com) and click on “feed the kobolds” once its up again.
Talk to the Kobolds! – ask us questions, send us email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or find us on social media (Twitter: https://twitter.com/ddocast, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ddocastkobolds, G+: https://plus.google.com/b/118431781319481999096/). We talk a lot so we need more things to talk about. Remember, this show is for you the listener. We want to be talking about what you want to hear about! To aid us in this endeavor, we have set up a survey (http://shamgar.wufoo.com/forms/ddocast-survey/) we would like you to take a few moments to fill out. The first 100 entries will be entered into a drawing for some turbine points!
Inform the Kobolds – sometimes it can be a big job to keep up with all the news. We try to keep track of all the news specific to DDO, the happenings going on in the DDO community, blogs, and forums, and we even try to pay attention to the gaming world at large. That’s a lot to keep track of. Here’s an invitation to become an Official DDOCast Reporter! All you have to do is send us an email (email@example.com) with a link to a news piece, a blog that caught your eye, or a forum thread you find particularly interesting. You can even share your thoughts on what you send!
Join the Kobold Union! – we are always looking for folks to start their own segments, make commercials, join our blogging team, and even join us as guests on the show! So long as it’s respectful and of decent sound quality you can expect to hear it live on the air! To learn more about joining the podcast just send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Lastly, thank you. Listeners are the life of DDOCast. Without you this would be an errant venture and almost no fun at all. All of us here at DDOCast appreciate your support and ears over the years. I know that I can expect the continued support from all of you going forward.
link to the survey: http://shamgar.wufoo.com/forms/ddocast-survey/
Join Sig, Anne, Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com) and Patrick as we go through the latest DDO news. We’ve also got some great segments from Epic Education on Caught on the Web, a Luedwig Bait H’oven Cryptic Message, followed up by Rheebus The Rogue who suddenly stabs like a knife in the dark with a DDO Top 10!
And this is the episode were Sigfried and I announce our departure and pass on DDOcast to its next True Reincarnation life with new host, Patrick Sherman! Not to worry we’ll be around as occasional hosts and to help Patrick out in his new role as DDOcast Host & Producer!
- Servers went down Monday this AM for Update 18 Patch 3
- Guild Renames are now Available Again!
- Lamannia Updated! Check your Emails Shadowfell Conspiracy Beta invites
- Enter DDO’s Shadar Kai Design Contest for your chance to win a custom skinned ORIGIN 800D computer!
- Deadlock’s Enhancement System PDF
- Vanshilar’s guide to the tile “Googles” puzzle in the Accursed Ascension
- DDO Chronicle 52
- Shadowfell Pics at Massively.com
- New Shadowfell Conspiracy Screen Shots Over at Ten Ton Hammer
- 20 Questions with the LOTRO Dev Team
This week on DDOcast Sig, Anne, and Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com) go over quite a bit of fun news on the latest update from Lamannia, including the latest Enhancment Revamp pass, stealth system changes, secret door changes, quest repetition changes and more! We also announce our winner of our Shadowfell X-Pack key, share a fun treat created by Geoff and get more tips on running Caught in the Web from Shamgar’s Epic Education.
- DDO Lamannia Update for Second Pass Enhancements
- DDO Quest Repetition Penalty on Lamannia
- DDO Stealth and AI Awareness Changes on Lamannia
- DDO Secret Door Changes on Lamannia
- DDO Store News Through July 4th
- DDOcast News: What Happened to the IRC Channel?
- Keavaa looks at improved Deception in her blog
- DDMsRealm has new walkthroughs for the Disciples of Shadow quests
- DDOgamer’s Spreadsheet of Collectibles in DDO!
Join DDOcast @ GenCon 2013!
- Game ID: ENT1346414
- Title: DDOCast Live Show (A Dungeons & Dragons online Podcast)
- Description: Join Anne, Sigfried, Geoff and friends as we celebrate our passion for DDO, Gaming, and the good things in life. Join in the podcast or just kick back and hang with friends.
- Start Date & Time: Friday at 4:00 PM
- Duration: 2 hours
- End Date & Time: Friday at 6:00 PM
- Location: Embassy Suites-Coronation 1
- LINK: https://www.gencon.com/events/46414
This week Sig, Anne, Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com), and Patrick (Shamgar’s Epic Ed) have a whopping two hours of DDO news, more talk about reincarnation, upcoming XP and enhancement changes, DDOGamer gets into collectibles, we get into reading letters sent in by listeners, DDO community events, and even a bit of good old D&D news.
- DDO Update 18 Patch 2 Release Notes
- Guild renown decay Summer Vacation
- Queset XP Changes Coming Soon! From Turbine Dev PurpleFooz
- Latest Update from Our Favorite QA Guy Major Malphunktion
- Trubine Dev SteelStar Has More on Enhancement changes
- DDO Store Sales thru June 27th
- DDOGamer Digest on DDO Collectible System
- Shamgar’s Heroic Commendations suggestions
- DDO Halfling Summer Games continues on Khyber
- More on DDO Hunger Games PvP event
- The Next Borderlands 2 DLC is like a D&D Campaign with Tiny Tina
- Neverwinter officially Launched on June 20th
- Retro D&D Video Games: Chronicles of Mystara: A faithful re-release, warts and all
- Forbes Interview with Mike Mearls “After A Year Playtesting A New Dungeons & Dragons, What’s Next?”
- The New Dungeons & Dragons Goes To Print In “Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle”
Its the True Reincarnation Episode! Sig, Anne, and Geoff (http://www.ddocast.com) touch a bit on some DDO news and community happenings, but the meat of this podcast is about the latest announcement from Sr. Producer Erik Boyer (aka Producer Glin) on the proposed system for Epic TR, Iconic TR, and Heroic TR. We go over Glin’s announcement and follow up posts in detail, and responses from other Turbine Devs. We also read on player reactions for the new TR system.
Sometime after the Spellplague in 1385 DR, the Purple Dragons determined that a large number of Whelunians were secretly Shar-worshipers, and the current king of Cormyr feared Wheloon was a front for Netherese spies. The king decreed that it be transformed into a prison city, all those inside sealed in by brick and magic and prisoners for life. Suspected worshipers of Shar, Shadovar sympathizers and spies, and any others who offended the crown were put over the wall and left to survive on their own. By 1479 DR, Wheloon was a dark prison city, no longer a trade hub, and the streets were controlled by gangs of thugs.
- Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide – for dms
- Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide – for players
- Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave – hardcover super-adventure for characters from 4th to 8th level. The adventure pits the heroes against the evil agents of Shar and Cyric as they plot to corrupt the worship of Mystra, goddess of magic. The adventure begins in Cormyr, but the characters must also travel to the Plane of Shadow to thwart the villains’ machinations.
The Shadowfell, sometimes simply called Shadow, is a parallel plane from which necrotic energies and shadow magic stem. It exists as sort of a counterpart to Feywild in the sense that it is a reflection or “echo” of the Prime Material Plane except that it is a bleak, desolate place full of decay and death.
The Shadowfell was created in 1385 DR when Shar, having successfully arranged Mystra’s death, bound the energies of the Negative Energy Plane with the Plane of Shadow. Since then, the Shadowfell has existed as a center of Shar’s power as well as a transitory place for dead mortals on their way towards judgment on the Fugue Plane.
- Manual of the Planes 4th edition
- Keep on the Shadowfell – A D&D adventure for characters of levels 1-3. A ruined keep that was once a bastion of good in the realm. This keep overlooks the Shadow Rift, a dark scar in the world that was once a gateway to the Shadowfell but has been dormant for many years. Now, an evil cleric of Orcus, Demon Lord of the Undead, seeks to re-open the gate.
- The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond – boxed set is for Dungeon Masters interested in taking their heroes on excursions to the Shadowfell, as well as Dungeon Masters looking for a sinister setting in which to run thrilling urban adventures.
In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the Tressym is a magical beast. They are winged cats, about the size of a housecat, with a pair of feathered, leathery wings extending to a 3 foot wingspan. They have owl-like faces, and a fluffy ball of fur and feathers at the end of their tail.
They are highly intelligent and sometimes kept as pets and familiars by good wizards. In the wild, they can befound in warm and temperate land. They are chaotic good in alignment. They speak Common and their own language, tressymspeak, which is based on purrs and growls
Villagers in Eveningstar feed tressym and try to prevent the worst of their vandalism and aerial catfights. At the same time, they try to prevent any large-scale or magically-assisted trapping and capturing of them. The locals value tressym for their owl-like rodent control in the fields. In the wild, they can be found in warm and temperate lands
Blackstaff (novel) by Steven E. Schend – There’s a Tressym called Nameless and is a familiar to a character in the book
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Trope: Introduce creatures that are just like familiar everyday animals or animal hybrids) that the audience will recognize but in a fantasy (or sci-fi) setting, and give them funny names. Speaking of which….
- An owlbear is depicted as a cross between a bear and an owl, which “hugs” like a bear and attacks with its beak. Gary Gygax created the owlbear, which was inspired by a plastic toy made in Hong Kong along with other monsters such as the rust monster and the bulette. It was first introduced in a 1975 Greyhawk supplement
This week on DDOcast Sig, Anne and Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com) talk about the latest DDO news including a great forum post by our favorite DDO QA guy, Maj. Malphunktion, we also talk about some Forgotten Realms lore, tad bit on community news, and then wrap it up with some fun general gaming news.
- Our Fav QA guy, Major Mal, Speaks on Bugs and on new Xpack
- QuarterMasterX Shares a some info
- Correction to the Shadowfell X-pac description
- DDO Store News – Now thru June 13th
- Shadowfell Beta Access
- D&D noobs hate flying cats and owlbears
- Lore Lounge: Wheloon, Shadowfell, Tressyms and Owlbears
- DDOwiki’s list of weapons that use alternate stats
- The Order of Syncletica looks at the Monk Ninja Spy in the current Alpha version of the Enhancement
- Turbine E3 “ShadowOfMordor.com” ?
- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Enters the eSports Universe as Turbine and Major League Gaming Partner to Introduce Infinite Crisis to Competitive Gaming
- Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep
- Neverwinter Launches on June 20
- Re-Creating AD&D Module Cover Paintings Part 1 Kickstarter
- Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter
Did you cringe when we lampooned beta access in DDOcast 287? Did you find yourself saying, “Well Actually…”? Looks like our little inside joke got some responses and questions. Well folks, here’s your answer!
How does that work? Its programming MAGIC! Just kidding! Well actually, and according to our friend from Premium Perspective, Ecgric, whenever free or premium players get onto the Lamannia server, they only have access to the content that they have purchased. Anyone that has not purchased the expansion by the time turbine starts the beta preview, you may not be able to access the content that comes with the expansion pack even though they will have access to the Lamannia server. So just download the Lamannia client here and get ready for the Shadowfell expansion beta! Here’s all the info you need on how to access Lamannia:
- Download the Lamannia Client (right click and save as)
- Read the Official Lamannia FAQ
- See what’s happening on the Beta server on the Lamannia DDO forums
- Copy over your Live DDO character to Lamannia with the Character Copy Tool
- Learn more about how to Level a lowbie in minutes AND get the gear you need at the Test Dojo
So get ready to enter the treacherous new town of Wheloon, which is overrun by the Shadowfell! Any adventurers that have pre-purchased Dungeons & Dragons Online: Shadowfell Conspiracy prior to June 5th will be granted guaranteed beta access to the expansion content, as well as immediate access to the Shadow Of A Doubt quest, set in the brand new area of Wheloon.
When the king of Cormyr discovered that Wheloon was full of traitorous Shar worshippers, he walled off the prosperous trading town and made it into a massive prison, a chaotic hellhole where life is cheap and imprisoned criminals battle over control of the ruined streets. And now something even worse has come to the prison – the Shadowfell, a plane of darkness and despair filled with fell creatures commanded by a mighty empire.
Players will adventure through the twisting streets of Wheloon and climb up to its rooftops to explore the town from a completely different perspective. They’ll investigate hidden corners and dangerous interiors, and discover new creatures and treasure through Wheloon’s Random Encounter system. And through a serious of quests they will begin to unravel the secrets of the Shadowfell Conspiracy.
For more information on Shadowfell Conspiracy, the next expansion to Dungeons & Dragons Online, please visit http://www.ddo.com/en/shadowfell/
Tolero Explains Wheloon in the Latest DDO Community Video!
Hey!! Where is DDOcast 286? Its an audio only cast! featuring an Interview with Shamgar and the first collection of Epic Educations numbers 1 thru 5! Go here to download: http://bit.ly/17u8fL4
In DDOcast 287, Sig, Anne and Geoff (http://www.ddogamer.com) go over the past week’s worth of DDO news, then we dive deep into the mail bag and answer questions, respond to comments and kibitz over criticisms from DDO players! We also talk about the latest DDO player news from the forums and blogs. Also Shamgar starts in on on Epic Caught in the Web raid with Epic Education #30!
- Update 18 Patch 1 Release Notes
- Post Patch Issues for Some Game Clients
- BUG: Induction Bars and Interruptions
- Tomb of Shadow and other quest effected by Induction Bar Interruption Bug
- Patch 2 for U18 in the Queue
- DDO Store News – Now thru June 6
- DieHardGamerFan.com: “Pre-Ordering ShadowFell is not a Conspiracy (DDO)”
- Raid Review 1: Tempest Spine
- Iconic Characters: Suggested Uses
- Expansion Purchasing Thoughts
- Shadow Conspiracy by the Numbers
- Diablo Clone: Path of Exile
- George Takei is the Broker of Star Peace
- “You have just been given total design authority at Turbine. What Would You do?”
- Spencerian infiltrates Gwylan’s Stand
- Gypsythief has put together a desktop wallpaper based on the Shadowfell Conspiracy
- DDO Chronicle #46
Hey all! This is a special mid-week episode of DDOcast featuring Patrick – aka Shamgar – of Epic Education. We sat down in Shamgar’s Epic Lair and talked about how Epic play has changed over the years in DDO, about what changes in Epics we’ll see in the near future, and then we dive head long into the first part of our Epic Education Compilation Series.
0:14:17 Interview with Patrick (aka Shamgar)
0:57:04 EE1 – Introductions
1:04:55 EE2 – DPS Roles
1:16:01 EE3 – Healing Roles
1:27:51 EE4 – Casting Roles
1:37:40 EE5 – Etiquette
Links to Shamgar’s Epic Education Notes @ Shamgar.ddocast.com
- Epic Education Episode 1: Introduction
- Epic Education Episode 2: DPS Roles
- Epic Education Episode 3: Healing Roles
- Epic Education Episode 4: Casting Roles
- Epic Education Episode 5: Etiquette